Friday, October 14, 2016

Travel Physical Therapy Life FAQ's

As a traveler I get so many questions about housing, assignment length, meeting people, etc. So I thought I would address all questions in one place! If you are a PT or looking to get into the traveling life feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to help!
This is an old picture but it was taken as I was leaving for an assignment in California. That's my travel shirt!


Q: How do you get your jobs?
A: I work with a recruiter and they honestly do all of the hard work! It is important to work with several different recruiters big and small to ensure that you increase your odds at getting a contract in the location/setting that you want.


Q: How do you decide where to go?
A: You have to have a state license in each separate state you want to work. This is the hardest part! So far I have 7 state licenses: NM, CO, TX, CA, HI, AK, NY. I get to choose where I want to go.  I decide where I want to be then my recruiter sends me a list of the possibilities and I decide where she submits my profile. After the hospital has my profile we do a phone interview and I can either accept or decline the contract. The cool part is-I'm totally in control!

Q: Do you always get to go where you want?
A: Nope, but that's OK! You usually have to be flexible on either the location or the setting. I have seriously lucked out on getting some great assignments in great cities/hospitals. Honestly, it is hard to get placements in big cities because everyone wants to work there! Patience definitely pays off so I make sure to save up so that I don't get in a hurry and accept a bad placement because of financial reasons. 


Q: How long do you work at each assignment?
A: It depends on the contract and need of the hospital. My shortest has been 8 weeks and my longest has been 6 months. I usually have a 13 week contract and extend my contract based on the hospital's request and how much I like the place ;)


Q: Where do you work when on assignment?
A: Everywhere! That's what I love about being a PT! We can work in so many different fields. I prefer hospital based PT and acute inpatient rehab. I've also worked in outpatient and home health PT.

Q: Where do you live when on assignment?
A: I live in temporary furnished housing that I find on AirBnB, VRBO, or craigslist. Renters on AirBnB and VRBO are usually very accommodating to monthly renters because it saves them cleaning time and they are guaranteed the month long rent vs gambling on weekend rentals.
I've lived in a cute condo by the beach in Santa Barbara, and a cute converted garage studio in Redding. 

Q: What do you take with you?
A: I own a Subaru Crosstrek and I pack what ever fits in my car! I also have a ski rack and bike rack so if I accept an assignment in the mountains I take my bike and skis. I'm obsessed with coffee, camping, and being outside. So I pack my french press, my camping gear, my cooler full of green chile, clothes/shoes/toiletries, and anything other gear I might need. I'm on my way to Steamboat Springs, CO so I'll pack my snowshoes and a bunch of cold weather gear. Being a single woman, I always pack a gun, better safe than sorry!



Q: How do you meet people?
A: Never say no an invitation! Seriously, prior to traveling I didn't like to go to events by myself. When I decided to travel I made myself a promise that I would go to everything I was invited to! Most hospitals have several travelers, speech pathologists, nurses, occupational therapists, and most travelers are lonely and want people to hang out with too! So exchange numbers and invite your co-workers along! To be honest I don't make a whole lot of friends outside of work but if I have it's because I got involved! I volunteered for races, kayaked at national parks, hung out with my roommates, etc. 
Kayaking with new friends/roommates!


Hiking with co-workers!

Whitewater rafting with co-workers!


Q: Where have you been for work?
A: So far, I have been to

  • Houston, Texas (twice) 
  • Meeker, Colorado
  • Boise, Idaho
  • South Lake Tahoe, California
  • Santa Barbara, California
  • Albuquerque, New Mexico
  • Redding, California
  • San Diego, California
Q: Where have been your favorite places to work?
A: This is such a hard question, I've loved different places for different reasons and there's always a positive/negative no matter where you go.
I love working in Houston, my co-workers are the best and working in the medical center is mind blowing but the commute was awful and there is nothing to do for an outdoorsy girl! I love South Lake Tahoe because it is so beautiful and my type of place, but it was really hard to make friends. Redding was so fun, super accessible to the outdoors and awesome trails but it's so hot and there's a pretty bad drug/homeless person problem :/ so I couldn't live there long term.  Santa Barbara was amazing all around, beautiful area, awesome friends, amazing location-but SO expensive!


Q: You seem to travel a lot not for work, where have you been for fun?
A: I try to experience the local area when I'm assigned somewhere, so I've been to a lot of National Parks(they're my favorite)!  Whiskey town, Redwoods, Yosemite, Mt. Lassen, Crater Lake, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, White Sands. 
I also love to travel internationally! I've been to South Africa(twice), Germany, Italy(twice), Montenegro, Vatican, Thailand, Belgium, Amsterdam, Brugge, Greece, Canada, Mexico, Bonaire, St. Thomas, St. Martin, Barbados, Puerto Rico, Antigua.

National Parks!

Q: What are your favorites?
A: Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Amsterdam, Mykonos, Thailand, Montenegro. 

Q: How do you get so much time off to travel?
A: Schedule! When I'm on assignment I pre-schedule time off with the hospital(it's in my contract before I start). I usually don't take any time off during my assignments and I usually take a few weeks/month off between contracts. Since I do contract work and I only scheduled for 3-6 months at a time and plan my personal travel between contracts. 

Q: How much do you work?
A: When I'm on an assignment I work full time and usually don't take any time off during a contract. But I only accept contracts 8-9 months a year, and usually take 3 months off a year spread out throughout the year. 

Q: Where do you stay when you're not working?
A: Everywhere! I'm usually traveling when I'm not working but when I'm not traveling I go visit people and stay with them. Also, my parents have graciously stored all of my stuff the last three years so I go "visit"(read stay) with them and re-pack my car for the new season! Seriously, if you ever offer me a spot on your couch or a spare bedroom I will come visit. 



1 comment:

  1. I officially offer you a spot on my couch. And the couches of AirBNB locations in the countries surrounding my couch. Can't wait to travel more with you, sistah friend! (please say you hear Ada's voice when I write that)

    ReplyDelete