Saturday, December 3, 2016

Steamboat Springs for Ski Season

Don't mind if I do!

HI friends! I got back from Guatemala and drove straight to Steamboat Springs for my winter assignment. Luckily the hospital provides housing so I just had to show up!

I've been a traveler for 3.5 years but haven't done any seasonal work until now! I didn't even know it was a thing until this past spring. I heard someone mention seasonal work and I thought to myself "I wonder if they have seasonal PT?" So I did an indeed.com search for season PT in Colorado and found this job!
The Steamboat Valley from Emerald Mountain. 


I work directly for the hospital, which is different than normal. I normally work with a travel agency that finds the jobs for me and I'm a contractor for the hospital. Now I'm working directly for Yampa Valley Medical Center. It is a beautiful facility, and the PT clinic is probably one of the nicest I've ever seen! I wonder who makes all the money for the hospital?? 😆

I'm working in the Emergency Department(ED), and it is a new experience for me!  There is a PT room in the ED and we do bracing, crutch training, and exercises/modalities to prevent further complications from their injuries. We mostly see ACL strains/tears, but since these diagnosis don't need urgent surgery we do pre-hab to prepare the patient for potential surgery and to make sure their muscles don't stop working!

My apartment is super cute and tiny! But I love it! It's a 2 story loft apartment and its perfect for 1 person, and I have two air mattresses and a big couch for visitors.

The town is super cute too, and has a lot for such a small town. Walmart, Central Market, Safeway, lots of outdoor shops, and a pretty nice gym. My gym was originally a hot springs pool that added a fitness center so I can soak in the natural springs after my workout or a hard snowshoe/ ski.

The outdoor opportunities are endless! There is a river core trail that ends right by my house and they plow the trail because it gets used so much! It has been snowing non stop since I've been here but the snow on the mountain still isn't great and the mountain is only partially open, so I haven't skied yet. I have been walking/jogging on the river trail and snow shoeing! There are so many public land trails here, and people are always using them. I love that everyone here seems to love the outdoors, it makes me feel better about being on the trails solo. Someone will find me if something were to happen!
My first snowshoe!

Multi-use trails in town


I'll be here as long as the mountain is open, so tentatively April 16. I say this ALL the time, PLEASE come visit!!
Steamboat mountain, from the top of Emerald mountain


2 comments:

  1. Well, I'll come visit. I just learned in school about a Slovak phrase that is perfect for us! Directly translated, it says "I bought _____ from grandma". It means, "I bought this thing for really cheap". So, I'll come visit when I buy my tickets from grandma. ;) hahahahahahahahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahah I love that!! I'm going to start using that!

      Delete